Tommy Bridewell completed an emotional BeerMonster Ducati treble win at the opening round of the Bennetts British Superbike Championship Showdown, with Glenn Irwin finishing second as the pair are now separated by just 0.5 points heading into the penultimate round at Donington Park (29 September – 1 October).
At the start, Bridewell launched into the lead ahead of Irwin, Leon Haslam, Kyle Ryde and Lee Jackson. The BeerMonster Ducati riders then traded places as Irwin grabbed the advantage on the brakes into Lodge on lap five.
Bridewell wasn’t going to settle for second though and he made a pass back at Old Hall three laps later, but Irwin repeated his earlier overtake at Lodge to regain the lead. The pair then crossed the line side-by-side as Bridewell edged ahead to start lap nine back at the front of the field.
Bridewell then held off Irwin and edged a gap just ahead of the chequered flag to take the race three victory on an emotional weekend for the entire PBM Team by 1.147s, with the BeerMonster Ducati team taking a 1-2. Bridewell’s 14.5-point lead before the Showdown has been decimated and Irwin now leads by 0.5 points with just six races remaining.
Jackson added to his podium tally with a strong third place on the Cheshire Mouldings Kawasaki ahead of Leon Haslam and Josh Brookes, as BMW riders completed the top five positions.
Ryde dropped to sixth place, but maintained his position ahead of Christian Iddon, Ryan Vickers and Jason O'Halloran with Storm Stacey rebounding from his earlier crash to finish in the top ten.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Oulton Park, Race 3 result:
- Tommy Bridewell (BeerMonster Ducati)
- Glenn Irwin (BeerMonster Ducati) +1.147s
- Lee Jackson (Cheshire Mouldings Kawasaki) +2.107s
- Leon Haslam (ROKiT BMW Motorrad) +5.375s
- Josh Brookes (FHO Racing BMW Motorrad) +7.655s
- Kyle Ryde (LAMI OMG Racing Yamaha) +8.182s
- Christian Iddon (Oxford Products Ducati) +11.099s
- Ryan Vickers (LAMI OMG Racing Yamaha) +11.110s
- Jason O’Halloran (McAMS Yamaha) +14.214s
- Storm Stacey (Starline Racing Kawasaki) +18.447s
For the full race result please click here
Bennetts British Superbike Championship standings:
- Glenn Irwin (BeerMonster Ducati) 360.5
- Tommy Bridewell (BeerMonster Ducati) 360
- Kyle Ryde (LAMI OMG Racing Yamaha) 300
- Leon Haslam (ROKiT BMW Motorrad) 283
- Lee Jackson (Cheshire Mouldings Kawasaki) 280.5
- Jason O’Halloran (McAMS Yamaha) 276.5
- Josh Brookes (FHO Racing BMW Motorrad) 250
- Christian Iddon (Oxford Products Ducati) 222
- Ryan Vickers (LAMI OMG Racing Yamaha) 207
- Charlie Nesbitt (MasterMac Honda by Hawk Racing) 122.5
For the full standings please click here